Thursday, July 30, 2009

Grandmas Afghan

I am participating in a heirloom party hosted by Marie here. Thanks Marie for hosting this fun party!

This afghan is not exactly a heirloom but I hope for it to be someday. My grandmother made it for me when I was around 12. I love it. I hope to always keep it in my family and pass it down to my kids and then my grand kids and so on. I was going to edited these pictures so you would only see the afghan but I decided to keep it real, ha!

Please just ignore the bag of dog food you see. Pretend it's not even there. Thanks :-)





This last picture is just to kind of give you a idea of the size of it. It is actually quite big. It has held up through many washings. It's great.
There is another thing I would like to become a heirloom but I do not have a picture of it. It is a necklace charm I got when I turned 16 that says, "Sweet 16". My mom & Dad got it for me and I saved it so I could give it to my daughter, if I have one, if not I can always give it to a niece or some young girl in the family.
I do have a few pieces of jewelry from my great grandma who passed away recently but I don't have any pictures of those either. I have all that stuff packed away in a little box because I don't want anything to happen to it.
.
.
Well that's all I got for now. So don't forget to go here to see what everyone else has! Till next time...
.
.
P.S. Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much.
.
.



14 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have an afghan I should have posted! I think the dog food is cute ... I have 3, so I know how their "stuff" somehow ends up all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child I never appreciated afghans.. until I attempted to knit, sew, crochet.. I applaud your grandmother for her talent. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I love crochet and knit! Good planing for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely afghan & memories. You treasure those items, as the older you get the more precious they will become.

    I remember Mother crocheting lots of them, they always laid across the back of the couch. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really neat! I love handcrafted items. They are so special. I know you'll enjoy that afghan for many years. Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Brittany - thank you for joining the party! Your afghan is so beautiful! And it looks like it is oh so soft and comfy. How special that it's made with love by your Gramma. It will indeed be a special heirloom to hand down someday. The jewelry pieces sound so sweet too!

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that afghan sure is a treasure and i'm sure it will become an heirloom and if you ever have a daughter i'm sure she'll want to claim it for her very own!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful afghan. Both of my Grandmothers could crochet and knit as can my Mom. I've only learned to crochet the simplest chain so far, but I've been able to make several baby blankets as gifts. I'm glad that your blanket has held up so well for you and it's a great color! My Mom used to have an old orange, green and yellow one in BRIGHT colors her grandmother made for her. Now what do you do with those colors, LOL! Thanks for sharing your special something and have a loveleigh Friday.

    Sares @
    Loveleigh Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely afghan! Your Grandmother did beautiful work on it and I love that you will pass it on to someone else some day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful afghan! I think it's wonderful that you want to pass it on to future generations :)

    I have that sweet 16 necklace too!

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brittany. What a pretty afghan. Warm in more than one way, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful afghan your grandma made for you. I'm sure it is so soft to cozy up with at night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am enjoying seeing everyone's heirlooms and the stories that go along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aweeeeee.....Gramma would love to see that! :-)

    ReplyDelete