Friday, August 28, 2009

Bad day

That is what I had today. I had a horrible day. This job is not what I thought it would be at all. I figured it would be super easy, and it actually is. Let me explain. I get there and the manager told me that today would be a training day for me and if I felt comfortable enough I would be on the register for a little bit. Well he hands me some folder and said this is the training manual so read it or you can just go through it while you are on the register in training mode.
I figured I would read it and then go over it with him and he would explain everything to me. Nope, not even close. I was basically left to figure everything out on my own. He told me to just grab some items from the store and play around with ringing them up. He said he did not know how I was supposed to sign off the register so I would have to ask someone how to since he has never had to sign off. Hmm okay. So I am standing at this register left completely alone trying to figure out what to do. I was so lost but since it is pretty easy I eventually figured it out.
Now everyone knows CVS has all these different deals and sales all the time and there are a ton of coupons out there. Tons of people take advantage of them, as they should. I have never shopped there and had no idea how all of that works. Nobody explained to me their policy with coupons or anything. They never explained the programs they have or anything. I was left to tr and figure it out on my own.
They had some girl working in the photo department that was also working the registers and I guess she was supposed to help me, again no one told me anything to do at all. I asked her some questions, which she apparently thought I should already know but seeing how no one trained me in any way shape or form I had no idea. She then told me to get on the register and ring up the customer, mind you right in from of the customer, so I could not just say I was not ready to yet.
I was basically on the register for 6 hours by myself with no help. I felt like a total idiot having no idea what I was doing and taking forever. I was sitting down in the break room and the asst. manager came and sat down and I asked her how long I was supposed to work today since the store manager never told me. She said she thought the manager only wanted me to work 4-5 hours. Well I was way past that time frame. I asked her if I should just clock out or whatever and she said if you can stay longer then stay if not then go. I had to ask how to sign out since I was never taught. I quickly got in my car and left.
I came home and cried like a big fat baby. Today made me feel like a complete idiot. I was so lost and confused and had no idea what was going on. The manager asked ME what time I was working tomorrow and I was thinking to myself shouldn't you be the one telling me when I am supposed to work?
I told Josh all of this and he said I should just quit. I really want to but I really want to bring in extra money. And by the way I am considered part time but he is going to schedule me 2 hours under what full time would be considered each week. Sounds like they are just trying to get out of having to give me benefits. Today started out good and now I just want to crawl in a hole....

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that, but it sounds very typical. Years back I was hired at a small Walmart in the fabrics department. The manager was working to set up displays, etc, and said she had no time to train me, then she went home, and I was there all alone till 11pm. My shift started at 3. The CUSTOMERS trained me - as many had worked in that department before! They showed me how to cut different types of fabrics as they came in to purchase them. They showed me how to use the bar code thingie to make up the prices and figure yardage! I was employed there for 3 months, untrained, and when I went for my 3 month review, I was told that I 'failed to discover my true job description'!!! Now, isn't that a hoot??? They said I never showed up for mandatory meetings, or mandatory exercises - no one ever TOLD me about them, and I didn't know I had to 'discover' what my job was!!! I did get a raise however, but also a warning about the meetings and exercises - geesh. I was only part time seasonal help. I left after 5 months on the job, for a little factory assembly job. I got trained THERE! Hope my story made you laugh - as you see, it happens to all of us at one time or another. If I were you, I'd tell the manager that if someone doesn't spend time to train me properly, I would quit then and there. They need to realize if they want to keep workers AND customers, something needs to be done by them, to do things right. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, I'm so sorry that your day was terrible! I wish that I knew what to say , but I often tend to be a quitter when people crap on me. Apparently I am not good with controversy. ;) I think you just need to do what you feel comfortable with. If this job causes you pain and anxiety, then I would say it's not worth bringing that into your life if it's not necessary. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so to speak. I wish you a wonderful weekend! People are ignorant, and unfortunately that will not change. You can only control you.

    XO*Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you had a BAD first day. That store sounds like it needs new management. Maybe if you decide to stick with you can take their jobs away from them! I would go back and try again, but if I was still left to figure things out on my own...I'd walk away and never look back. It aint worth it.

    ReplyDelete